Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Phoenician blog M.R.

Dear Journal,

I’m finally writing to you because I created a new writing system. I developed the first real alphabet, which has twenty-two letters. I adopted it from the ancient Greeks. I bet you that in the future this language is going to be the basis for another kind of alphabet. Through trade and contact with other people around the Mediterranean we can spread the use of the alphabet. These 22 letters are one of the world’s first alphabets.
Sincerely,
M.R







Dear Journal,

My dad, John, is an expert sailor and trader. Many people in Phoenicia are traders. They are expert sailors and trade with countries around the Mediterranean. They set up trading colonies, which have locations in many different countries. North Africa, southern Spain and Sicily are a few. Sometimes I get scared for him because the waters can be rough. But my mom reminds me that we need the money to survive.
Sincerely,
M.R







Dear Journal,

Happy New Year! Now it is 1200 BC, a new year a new start. By saying that I mean that we are going to move. Now we live in Tyre, and we are going to move to Byblos. Both of these places are in the eastern Mediterranean. Many of my family members settled along the shores of the Mediterranean. Maybe in the future some of our homelands will become part of the Assyrian, Babylonian and Persian empires.

Sincerely,
M.R








Dear Journal,

Over the summer I am going to visit my cousins. They live in Sidon which is along the shore of the Mediterranean. I am very excited. About 5 years ago they set up trading colonies just like my dad. They help him out sometimes. They told me it is an awesome job. I hope they will take me to visit some of them. I wonder what they do there and what I will do while I am there.

Sincerely,
M.R





Dear Journal,
I’ve made an update on the alphabet that I created not to long ago. Now in my alphabet there are two types of letters. They are consonants and vowels. Technically they are only consonants, but some letters have to be used in the same way as vowels to make it possible to read the words. I hope that some couture will come along and will make it more modern.

Sincerely,
M.R


No comments:

Post a Comment